HEARTY GARDENS: A COMMUNITY GARDEN PROJECT
LOCATED OFF BANKER RD ON JONES LANE
2 MILES NORTH OF FORT ATKINSON
Jefferson County Parks Department and Heart of the City, Fort Atkinson
Heart of the City encourages locally grown produce and flowers, treating the soil in a sustainable way, and encouraging cooperative relations among gardeners.
THE GARDENS PROVIDE OPPORTUNITIES TO:
- grow your own produce and/or flowers
- learn sustainable gardening practices from experienced gardeners
- share your knowledge and your bounty with others
- enjoy the beauty of Dorothy Carnes park- (Mason Farm)
Hearty Gardens offers 10’ X 10’ or 10’ X 20’ plots to gardeners. The Parks Department furnishes the water supply, fencing around the area, picnic tables and an area for community tool storage. Donations were solicited for shared tools/hoses/other equipment and water collection cisterns. Local businesses or individuals who donate to the project through the Jefferson County Parks Department are eligible for a tax deduction.
To reserve a plot, contact the Jefferson County Parks Department at 920-674-7260.
Gardeners commit to the following:
- I will not be in the park before sunrise or after sunset.
- I will have something planted in the garden by June 30th and keep it planted all summer.
- If I must abandon my plot for any reason, I will notify the Parks Department.
- I will keep weeds down and maintain the areas immediately surrounding my plot.
- I will not use fertilizers, insecticides or weed repellants that will affect other plots.
- I will attempt to use sustainable gardening practices and fertilizers
- I will plant tall crops only where they will not shade neighboring plots.
- If my plot becomes unkempt, I understand I will be given a one-week notice to clean it up.
- I will keep trash and litter cleaned from the plot, as well as from adjacent pathways and fences.
- I will pick only my own crops unless given permission by another plot user.
- I agree to volunteer hours toward community gardening efforts.
- I will not bring pets to the garden.
- I will participate in the fall cleanup of the garden.
- I understand that neither the garden group nor Jefferson County, its officers or employees are responsible for my actions.
I AGREE TO RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE GARDEN GROUP AND JEFFERSON COUNTY, ITS OFFICERS OR EMPLOYEES FOR ANY LIABILITY, DAMAGE, LOSS OR CLAIM THAT OCCURS IN CONNECTION WITH USE OF THE GARDEN BY ME OR ANY OF MY GUESTS.