Heart of the City came into being when Fort Atkinson, WI fell into the shadow of a proposed Wal-Mart big box. This group formed to marshal community opposition and serve as a voice for the community. Our mission was and is to work toward sustainability in our homes and community through education, projects and thoughtful engagement with neighbors and civic leaders. We are a group of citizens interested in maintaining the small-town character and quality of life found in our community.
Heart of the City encourages sustainable development, the preservation of existing and treasured civic characteristics, and active participation of the citizenry. To that end we:
- Partner with the Jefferson County Parks Department (Hearty Gardens community garden) and other area community groups
- Offer informative speakers and documentary series
- Are a member of the Fort Atkinson Chamber of Commerce and support the Fort Atkinson Winter and Summer Farmers Markets
- Regularly donate to the Fort Atkinson Food Pantry
- Administer two community informational services — InfoBits and a Google alerts group
- Sponsor the annual Lue Ehinger Big Heart Award to recognize a person who embodies the Heart of the City mission
- Partner with Fort Health Care in their mission to create a healthy community
We host monthly meetings (2017 meeting schedule here) and we invite you to attend.
You may contact us at Heart of the City, PO Box 399, Fort Atkinson, WI 53538 or by phone to member Kitty Welch at 723-2679.